October 04, 2012
The reason it is so depressing to read Alone, the middle volume of William Manchester's biography of Winston Churchill, is not because the British government was so obtuse in failing to listen to Churchill's constant warnings about the rising menace of Adolf Hitler.
Why should that be depressing? After all, when Hitler finally got the war he had wanted for so long, Churchill was elevated at last to be prime minister of Britain, and in that position he saved Britain and, by the way, the world.
So this is the prelude to a tale of triumph. It is sad to see all the wasted opportunities, and to think of all the millions of deaths that could have been prevented if Churchill's warnings had only been heeded.
If Britain's pacifistic government had not deliberately concealed evidence that supported Churchill's view and not their own.
If Britain's press had not deliberately suppressed accurate stories from reporters in the field that made it clear exactly what Nazi government would and did mean in Austria, Czechoslovakia and in Germany itself.
Yet sad as these errors are, one can understand them, to a degree. The British public had not forgotten the horrors of trench warfare, the millions of lives lost in pointless charges against machine guns.
(They had never been told that it was Winston Churchill himself who had struggled and nearly succeeded in preventing most of that wastage. Unfairly, he had been given the opposite reputation.)
Also, Hitler encouraged the pacifists by his constant use of the Big Lie. Even though he never kept a promise, he did keep making them. "This is the last territorial demand Germany will ever make," he said over and over, and each time the pacifists were eager to believe him.
No, the reason I find myself consumed with sadness as I listen to Alone, 1932-1940 is that on point after point, foolish mistake after foolish mistake, criminal neglect after criminal neglect, I see that we are exactly echoing the errors of that time.
Bill Clinton was our Stanley Baldwin, a genial pol whose wetted finger was always up to test the winds of public sentiment.
But Barack Obama is our Neville Chamberlain, a committed True Believer in the mad notion that our enemies want peace as much as we do, and only hate us because of our mistakes.
We face enemies remarkably like Adolf Hitler. The leaders of Islamist fanatic groups and governments, from Iran to Hamas and Hezbollah, from the Taliban to the Muslim Brotherhood, from al Qaeda to the Syrian regime, resemble him in these ways:
1. They hate Jews. Call their victims "Zionists" in order to pretend, but it is Jews they kill whenever and wherever they can.
And, just as in Hitler's day, the intellectuals of Europe and far too many in America, rather agree with them that Jews er, no, Zionists ah, that is, Neo-Conservatives are evil, cannot be trusted, and deserve to be destroyed.
Thus when Iran threatens to use its nukes against Israel, there are many who are unconcerned because as long as Jews are the only intended victims, they don't really mind all that much.
So much for learning and remembering the lessons of the Holocaust. Nukes are quicker and cheaper than gas chambers. And if a few millions Muslims die along with the Jews... Inshallah. It is the will of God. They are martyrs.
2. Just like Hitler, they always cast themselves as the victims. Hitler pretended only to be trying to protect people of German nationality wherever they lived.
Now Islamists claim to be victims everywhere. Let someone speak ill of their religion, their scripture or their founder, and they believe that this justifies them in any kind of thuggery, murder, assassination, riot and terrorism.
3. They are thugs. Like Hitler's Brown Shirts and SS, who terrorized Germans first in order to bring Hitler to power and keep him there, Islamist thugs work first to terrorize other Muslims and keep them from speaking out against their rule. Thus a tiny minority comes to dominate the millions of Muslims, not just in Muslim-majority countries, but around the world.
No other world religion claims the right to be able to enforce their laws on unbelievers, to impose the death sentence on anyone of any faith who offends their dogmas, and to kill any member of their own faith who is insufficiently faithful or who attempts to leave Islam.
Quick, are there any Muslims reading this who are not afraid to speak up against any of these Islamist groups or governments? Yes, raise your hands! But ... not very high. I don't want your blood on my conscience.
4. They aim at nothing less than complete world domination. They have said so just as clearly as Hitler did in Mein Kampf, and they continue to say it.
5. Like Hitler, these Islamists are contemptuous of Westerners who think negotiations mean anything. When they think they're losing, they negotiate but then they keep none of the promises they make. Not one. Not ever.
6. Like Hitler, they cheerfully exploit the Westerners who support their cause, but feel nothing but contempt for them. The only people they respect are the ones who stand against them firmly.
7. Like Hitler, they have a whole list of kinds of people who need to be suppressed, oppressed or destroyed. The Islamist list includes:
Women, who must be made powerless and invisible, utterly uneducated and unfree.
Jews, who must be killed or expelled.
In Egypt, the Coptic Christians are being murdered in "spontaneous" (i.e., well-planned) pogroms, while the authorities stand by to arrest the surviving Christians. This despite the fact that Christians have been in Egypt far longer than any Muslims, since Egypt was a completely Christianized land for centuries before Islam was founded.
In Iran, followers of Baha'i and other minority faiths are jailed or murdered, forbidden to practice their faith.
In Afghanistan, when the Taliban ruled, followers of any religion but Islam were persecuted, their holy sites obliterated or defaced.
Anyone who believes in democracy, or any law but the fanatical Islamist version of Sharia, or any education but the study of their scripture in Arabic, is liable to be imprisoned, exiled, or impoverished if they aren't killed outright.
8. Like Hitler, they are arming themselves and preparing for total war. Iran aims for nukes and means to use them. Pakistan has nukes, but dares not use them because India has better ones.
But the Islamists' real total war is not about nukes. Iran's nukes are just as much about dominating the other Muslim nations in their vicinity; though they are sincere about using them against Israel, once they have done so, will Turkey, Saudi Arabia, Egypt, the Emirates, Iraq or any other Muslim nation resist their leadership?
Their war against the West is to bring us down, and Osama bin Laden showed them how. Attacks on public trust will eventually break down our economy, force governments to bow to Muslim "sensibilities."
Because just as the Islamists use Hitler to teach them how to destroy us, it is as if our "intellectual" elite our tenured professoriate, our monolithic news establishment and Hollywood were also following a script....continued on page 2